Thursday, July 8, 2010

Some truths.

I'm a busy girl. I work 40 hours a week at a mortgage company, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., then I come home from work and put in another 4-5, sometimes 5-7 hours more on editing, business planning, shooting, etc. I know everyone is busy. I have no room to think I'm the only one, and I truly know I'm not.  I'm starting to feel like I'm doing a mediocre job both at work and in photography because I'm constantly stressed about them both.  I often wonder how many summers I will have to sacrifice for this hobby-turned-business.  I passed on a family trip last weekend.  Just couldn't handle a vacation.  Weird right?  That vacations are stressing me out?!  What IS that?! 
Truth of the matter is, I stayed home to get work done, answer emails, and I even read some of a book I bought called The Legal Handbook for Portrait and Wedding Photographers (or something like that).  Photography has become all I think about, all I talk about . . . I'm pretty sure all of my friends and family are sick me thinking and talking only about that. 

To be quite honest, I miss blogging. Pre-photography (about 1.5 years ago), I was posting about trips, exciting events, my interests, my hobbies . . . this place was basically an online journal. This is not the case anymore. I miss that. I want to be better. I've LOVED making friends through my blog! I've loved reading other's blogs. And I miss commenting on other's blogs. I've come to the point where I now just scroll through Google Reader, quickly, when I have just a few moments, and many times I am Google-Reading from my phone while I'm in line at Starbucks (my saint and savior). I miss connecting with people. I want to say I'm making a goal to be better at this. I would LOVE to say that and have it be true. But for now, I will tell you I'm going to try my darndest.

This week, right in the middle of one of the busiest summers of my life, I caught a terrible cold. With so much editing to do that it makes me want to cry, I've told myself  "You will not do a good job on editing if you're feeling this terrible. Just take a break". So, I've done just that. I've still made it into work at the mortgage company (maybe I was late a few mornings, but I still made it in), but in the evenings, I've tried really hard to stay away from editing. Although, from my bed, I've managed to take care of quite a few business related tasks (I now officially own a business! Woot!), and did some location scouting last night . . . okay, so I'm terrible at taking it easy (you know what really sucks about colds?!  Right now, I'm drinking a triple venti latte from Starbucks (that's like a $4.50 drink!) and I can't even taste it.  It tastes like hot water.  My tastebuds are useless right now.  Boo :(  At least that doesn't affect the fact that I'm getting caffeine out of it, right?).
frolic in the yard 013

As far as shoots go, I've got quite a few photo shoots just waiting to be posted. But when I'm thinking about all that I have to edit, I think "Should I do a blog post? Or edit?", and then editing wins. Almost always. I know that posting shoots is the only way to drum up business, SO, I'm going to try and make blog posts just as important of a priority.


Anyway, I've got some fun, exciting, new things coming up in the next little bit, so stay tuned!
 
And one final "THANK YOU" to all those who still read my blog even though the occurence of posting has gone dramatically downhill!  I love you guys.  I will make it up to you.

9 comments:

  1. you're one of my favorite photographers in the blog world :) keep it up! i know its hard sometimes, (and i've only got one job) but it will so be worth it in the end. just know you can't carry on like this forever.. eventually you'll be able to rely on your photography alone and go full time!! :) how exciting? :) but don't forget to take care of yourself.. ESPECIALLY when you're sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hang in there mad! you are so incredibly talented, and even the most talented people get sick.. people understand! so don't worry! just keep on keeping on, and do what you are doing! you are the best! congrats on owning your business officially! wahoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. get feeling better soon! i caught a cold this week, too. and just last night i had the same thought as you. my food was completely tasteless. it really takes away from the joy of eating. take it easy, maddie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you should think about getting someone to edit your pictures, or to help out with posting shoots on your blog. My sister is a wedding photographer, and she has someone edit her pictures, and my wedding photographer has someone edit his and had to finally break down and get some interns to help him because he's so busy. Maybe it would help you feel less stressed, and then you can remember why you love what you do so much. I'm not awesome at editing or blogging, but I'd be willing to help whenever you need help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maddie- I love all aspects of your bloggedness. All your forms of expression are beautiful. Can't wait to make our way to Utah and see you in action. Keep up the great work. It is a great time in life to be able to devote to something lasting, ie. your talents. You will be happy you carved this time out of your already full life. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you feel better soon :) Thanks for still taking the time to email me :) You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm sorry you've been sick, i hate when you can't taste food. good luck on staying on top of everything. it can get so hard sometimes so just make sure you keep giving yourself little breaks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh sweetie, how i know your stresses. remember what i told you, make sure to keep balance and make time for those you love. it will refresh your spirits! in the mean time while you're busy, you know your friends, family & fans all support everything you do! you are so talented and lovely and we are all so proud (esp. me!). xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted you to know how proud I am of you and owning your business! You're such an amazing talented person. Beautiful inside and out and on top of all that, you're so sweet and giving. I love you so so much and couldn't be happier that we're family. Hang in there girl!!!

    ReplyDelete