Wednesday, May 20, 2009

in stitches.

hey blog. i'm sorry i haven't had any creative posts lately, my computer has been on vacation while my house was being worked on. now, we're back! and it feels good to be back in my room with my real computer now :)

sad thing just happened: my external hard-drive with ALL of my pictures on it decided to die on me. no way to know if it can be recovered until i can get it in somewhere, but apparently, if i take it somewhere and they have to take it apart, costco (where i got it) can't replace it. AND apparently, it costs upwards of $676 to recover only 100GB, and higher if you need to recover more than that (mine's a 500GB drive). so poop. i may lose all of my old pictures. luckily i keep most of the ones i really like on flickr, and i have copies of my pictures previous of november 2008 saved on discs. i will survive this, but sure does suck.


on another note, funny thing happened yesterday:

so, since i'm prone to getting moles, and skin cancer runs in my family, i went in for my 6-month check-up two weeks ago (it's been almost a year and a half, actually. yeah, i'm terrible). the dermatologist said that i needed to come back to get 3 moles removed, with stiches (2 of them being re-removed because the pigment had come back). so, yesterday, was the appointment that i had to get them removed. yesterday MORNING was also when we had to check-out of the hotel. so i had this brilliant idea that i would just wear pajama pants to the appointment since it was in the morning, and i wouldn't have to strip down to complete naked-ness to have the mole removed from the back of my thigh, because it wasn't THAT high up. then i could just change when i got to work. so i packed up everything the night
before, except for some work clothes that i could keep in a small bag for later the next day.
so, after my shower the next morning, i got back into my pajama pants, finished my hair and make-up and headed off to my appointment.

when i got in the "procedure room", the nurse told me to strip-down.

"take off everything but your panties (does anyone else hate that word as much as i do??)".

"sh*t!" i thought to myself. i was an idiot and wore a thong, because who wants an underwear-line showing through their dressy work slacks (can women call them "slacks"?)?? not me i tell you.

so, as she left the room, i stared after her, horrified. the doctor is somewhat young, and not too bad looking (not that i'd date him, i have a boyfriend), but definitely NOT someone i want to see my almost-bare-butt. finally, i figured "ya know what? he's a professional, and i'm sure he knows that thongs exist in the world", so i just obeyed. as
i sat there in my thong and paper gown, i looked towards the windowsill where he had a cd player and a collection of cds stacked up next to it.

then: "double sh*t!".

he had mormon tabernacle choir, mormon tabernacle choir christmas, and a few other religious music cds that gave away the fact that "maybe this will NOT be okay!".

so this man, not too much older than me, apparently religious enough that he needs to listen to this music AT WORK, will think i'm a harlot for wearing thong underwear! so, i was shaking nervously, waiting for he and the nurse to come back into the room, trying to think of a solution like "should i put my pajama pants BACK ON? or was that going to make me look even more stupid??".

so they come back into the room, and i'm standing in the corner gripping the back of my paper gown, eyes wide, probably looked like a maniac who's just been caught doing something evil. like wearing thong underwear.

he tells me "okay, we're going to start with the moles on your back and the back thigh, so if you want to get on the table and lay face-down first, then we can get started.".

i sat there, not sure what to say, then finally i said "do you have something i can use to cover my butt?"

"excuse me?"

"my butt. do you have a blanket or something i could use to cover my . . . butt?".

"uh, sure . . . um nurse (whatever her name is), can you get maddie something to cover her bu-- self up? guess we can't be too modest here, right?".

yeah. i made it even more awkward for me, him, and the other two nurses that were in the room at the time. and the fact that i have 9-10 stitches through out my body doesn't help me forget that it happened. maybe the pain-killers do, though.

so yes, blog. yesterday was a little awkward at the dermatologist's office. and yes, i swear sometimes, especially in awkard circumstances. and i guess i talk about my underwear and my butt to random strangers through my blog, what of it??

and i'm sorry if that was too much information for you all, and maybe you had to be there? but i thought it was pretty funny :)

i have a really cute photoshoot post coming up, maybe tonight or tomorrow, depending on if i can get things running the way i need
to . . . so be ready!

9 comments:

  1. That is hilarious!! I HATE HATE HATE going to the doctor and having to strip down and the word "panties" too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHAHHAHAHAHHAHA!

    oh maddie, you're hilarious. this was so funny. ohmigosh!! i love that the nurse almost said "butt." how awkward.

    but awkward situations make for THE funniest stories in the whole wide world.

    and sidenote: this makes me want to go to the dermatologist and get screened. i'm super paranoid about skin cancer. and levi gets lots of moles too so i'm always worried about him. ugh. i hate not having insurance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha.

    Way to be Maddie. Sounds exciting. .very entertaining. Def made my morning....sooooo Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny! I was LOL at work and everyone was looking at me like I was crazy, don't worry I didn't share your story ;) That kinda stuff always seems to happen when you are wearing a thong! HAHAHAH I can still remember the day I was working at another title company went to bend down to pick up a file and apparently the new pants I had on had a flaw and RRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPP was all I heard..........I had torn a huge gaping hole from the knee all the way up to the belt line. Yes I was wearing a thong and I had to some how get my bare butt out of the office past the closings into my car with out someone seeing. Seriously I am still laughing over your story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take it from someone who has helped remove moles from patient's at a doctor's office... There's worse places to have moles removed from!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you probably all noticed i spelled "stitches" wrong. multiple times. oops! i fixed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, you're right jessica, it could have been MUCH worse! eek. and amanda, your story had me laughing too! haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maddie that story was outstanding, especially "who needs to listen to church music AT WORK!"

    I am glad you got your butt covered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are a brave woman for taking care of business! and i hope you get your photos recovered somehow!

    ReplyDelete